So, you’re in a relationship with someone you’re crazy about. Take the time to make sure that your partner knows how much you appreciate their presence in your life. While it’s always meaningful to express your gratitude verbally, there are many ways to show appreciation that go beyond generic platitudes.
Here are a few suggestions for brightening up your partner’s day. After all, it’s small actions and going out of your way to think of someone that create an atmosphere of love, trust, and mutual appreciation. While grand gestures can be lovely and welcome, these nine ways to show your appreciation doesn’t require you to move mountains, and can be just as meaningful long-term.
1) Slip a note in their pocket saying something you know will make them smile
2) Surprise them with their favorite dinner or dessert.
3) Pay attention. If your partner comes home with a story, be engaged, and be supportive. Put down your phone, close your computer and make eye contact. Make them a priority. Your focused attention will know that you value that they share their life with you.
4) Read a poem. Nothing is more romantic than cuddling and sharing beautiful prose.
5) Go out of your way to make their life easier. Try to bring joy to them, whether it’s a quick head scratch or just being there to vent as they complain about Bob from work.
6) Give your partner a compliment. The best compliments tend to be specific, created just for them. What do you like best about your partner? What do youadmire? Let him know that there’s something about them that you’re crazy about, and why.
7) Treat your partner to a massage! Pampering is a mutually beneficial way for both people involved to receive pleasure. There’s nothing quite like making someone else happy.
8) Thank them for the little things. It’s not always the grand gestures that should be valued. Instead, recognize your partner for the way they make an effort and go out of their way for you. By expressing your gratitude, you’ll infuse a kind, appreciative energy into the relationship.
9) Make time for them. Carve out space in your day to write an email or talk on the phone. for the two of you to cuddle, watch their favorite TV show with them, or take them out on a date. This will make them feel special.
The more comfortable you are in your relationship, the easier it is to take for granted the efforts of your partner and to slide in your efforts to acknowledge them. It’s the old “I don’t have to say it because they know it” mentality. But by infusing your relationship with thoughtfulness and appreciation, you and your partner will create a connection where you feel loved, cherished and respected.
By Elena Nicolaou, Relationup Staff Writer